Okay…Yesterday was supposed to signal the end of summer and today I’m posting Watermelon & Feta Salad. I have several reasons to post this recipe. First of all, it’s easy and delicious. Secondly, although a summer fruit, watermelon is usually available all times during the year. Lastly, it’s way too hot to think about fall!
I wanted to share the recipe for a wonderful salad that I enjoyed this summer. It all happened by accident. While having lunch at a lovely restaurant in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, the waitress made a mistake on my order. I’d requested clam chowder but instead, she brought out their watermelon & feta salad. She was pretty busy and I’ve got a thing about complaining and sending food back. I’m not saying that you should accept anything but, in this case I decided to accept the fate of the watermelon & feta salad.
Now, I’d heard about this type of salad but never ordered or attempted to locate a recipe to make it. With the first bite, I learned quickly that I’d been missing out on a delicious dish! It was simply micro greens, watermelon chunks, tomatoes, feta cheese, and red onion with a very light lime vinaigrette. Of course, I was happy that I didn’t point out the error to our waitress and I couldn’t wait to recreate this at home!
- 4 Cups Salad Greens
- 2 Cups Watermelon, seeded and chunked
- ½ Cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ½ small Red Onion, cut into rings and halved
- 1 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves, julienned
- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Fresh Lime Juice(not from concentrate)
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- On a large platter, layer lettuce, watermelon, cherry tomato halves, red onion slices, feta cheese, and basil.
- In a lidded jar, add extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice, honey, and salt. Cover the jar and shake vigorously until blended.
- Drizzle over salad and serve.